Raw Papaya Sambhariyu is a sweet and spicy dry chutney made of sliced or grated papaya. This condiment is very popular amongst Gujus and usually sold at a Gujarati farsan/snack shop. Every shop has their technique of making this chutney, and all taste delicious with the main ingredient, raw papaya.
Ingredients to make Papaya Nu Sambhariyu
1 small firm raw papaya
4 tbsp. oil
1/2 tbsp. mustard seeds
Few Green chillies chopped
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. haldi/tumeric
1 cup besan/chickpea flour or 2 cups crushed Khaman Dhokla
- Peel papaya, cut into half, deseed, and thinly slice it.
- Cut few green chillies.
- In a pan heat 4 tbsp. oil. Add mustard seeds and fry green chillies for a minute.
- Add sliced papaya, salt, and tumeric powder. Mix well. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes till papaya is slightly tender. Do not overcook and make it mushy.
- Add a cup of chickpea flour and 1 tbsp. sugar mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. (When this recipe is prepared in farsan shops, usually left over broken khaman dhokla is mixed in once raw papaya is cooked. So you could add 2 cups of crushed khaman dhokla instead of chickpea flour.)
- Serve prepared sambhariyu with fafda and Jalebi.