Festival means celebration, and celebration means food and specially sweets. Yes, we begin our Kutchi new Year by offering sweet to God and then relishing it. Walnut Halwa is a soft walnut porridge, a sweet, a dessert, and one of the family favorite treat. This was on the menu at my sister's wedding and we all still talk about the delicious taste. With perfect cold and pleasant weather, this Halwa does not fail to please the guests, it will became star of your event!!
The recipe is super easy and will be ready in no time! I make it just like I make regular or dryfruit halwa.
Ingredients: (serves 2-3 people)
2/3 cup ghee
1 cup coarsely ground shelled walnuts
1 cup milk
1/4 cup mawa/khoya (optional)
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of Cardamom powder
- In a pan heat ghee. When ghee melts add coarsely or fully ground shelled walnuts. At first mixture will appear dry but continue roasting on low heat till it starts giving out some ghee and also turns slightly dark in color.
- Add grated Mawa/khoya to the roating walnut mixture.
- Add milk and mix well. Be careful as milk might splatter.
- When milk is absorbed, add sugar and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and mix till sugar dissolves well.
- You might see a layer of ghee floating on top. that is okay.
- This halwa is enjoyed most when served warm. Store in the refrigerator for few days but heat it slightly on stove or microwave and then serve.
Here is step-by-step pictorial recipe:
Shelled walnuts coarsely ground in my food processor. You can even finely ground them but be careful for not overdoing them or else the then to give out natural oil.
Roast ground walnut in ghee.
Add khoya and ix well.
Add milk and mix till milk is absorbed.
Add sugar and mix till sugar dissolves.
Add cardamom powder.
Enjoy the Festivities!!