Shital's-Kitchen: Green Around, Green Within...Hariyali Khandvi!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Green Around, Green Within...Hariyali Khandvi!

Came back from work with a Green recipe in mind for 'Go Green', a Facebook community Cook-Off. Since I have been thinking about making Vitla Khandvi, this was a good opportunity to experiment and at the same time participate for the Cook-Off! I tried to incorporate Spinach to my traditional Vitla Khandvi recipe to create Hariyali Khandvi. Hariyali means Greenery!

Experiment successful! I was so excited that I had to share this recipe with you all today!

Easy, Delicious and Nutritious!!

Start by preparing spinach puree. I used around 4-5 cups of spinach with 1/4 cup water to puree it raw, and obtained 1 cup of spinach puree.



Mix 1/2 cup yogurt to 1 cup of water, and whisk well to form a smooth butter milk.



Mix spinach puree and butter milk. Add salt. Mix in 1 cup of chickpea flour/gram flour/besan gradually while whisking.






Microwave the smooth batter on 100% power for 3 minutes.


The sides start to cook faster than the batter in the center. Mix well to avoid lumps. Microwave again for 3 minutes.



Mix well and microwave for another 6 minutes, mixing the batter at ever 2 minute interval. Keep a check on the batter to avoid over cooking.






To test: spread a spoonful of batter on a greased surface. Cool for 2-3 minutes. If you can roll the batter on drying, it is done. If not, microwave for another 2 minutes.


Here is the picture of batter not cooked.

OMG this worked...this was an experiment and I had no idea if this would really work. Believe me, I did not even check to see if a recipe like this did exist. I did not Google anything! The happiness of experimenting and creating something is immense and maybe words are not enough to express it. I can now experiment with various flavors of Khandvi.

Here is the picture of batter cooked well to be able to roll.


Mix the batter well. Pour on a greased surface and spread thin using a flat ladle.



Let the batter cool and set. Sprinkle grated coconut and freshly chopped cilantro. You could also add grated carrots, boiled peas. That would be a perfect color combination for Indian Independence Day Theme Party! Green White and Orange, Indian flag colors!




Cut into long strips for an inch to inch and a half width using a rotary cutter or a knife.

I used a zigzag cutter :) Love the Pattern!

Roll each strip carefully.

Lay all your Khandvis in a plate. You can taste it too!!



To temper: heat a tbsp of oil. Add 1 tbsp mustard seeds, few chopped green chillies and few curry leaves. Pour the temper over the khandvi.






Garnish with grated coconut and chopped cilantro.




I couldn't wait to try this out!
Delicious! It was all gone!!
I Love Green Khandvi :)

9 comments:

  1. Good one. Perfect for kids who love khandvi but hate Palak, one of them is mine. Thanks a lot for this yummy one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are correct, incorporating color and nutrition in favorite recipes for kids and adults make everyone happy!

      Delete
  2. Hi Shital,

    I follow your blog regularly. I have not seen any recipes in more than a month and so was worried. Are you okay?

    Hope to hear back from you soon

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello J,

      Thanks a lot for your concern. It does mean a lot for me. Last few weeks have been super busy with my family here and work from school. But, I have various recipe and pictures ready and I will surely make up for not writing since a long time. I do check comments regularly though! :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Shital,

    I'm new to your blog... was searching for food processor recipes for dosa batter and your blog was the first search result on Google. Then got lost in your blog for around half hour... Loved the easy way you describe recipes and even post pictures of each and every ingredient... Now I have all the ingredients...dosa batter will be a smooth sail...


    Cheers,
    Vandana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Vandana, your comment did bring smile on my face! Thanks a lot!! I had no idea this recipe is the first one to pop on Google search, and I am glad I was able to glue you here for 30 minutes :) Jokes apart, I hope you enjoy making dosas and your family relishes them!

      Happy Cooking!
      Shital

      Delete
  4. Hi Shital, IN this receipe how to cok the mixture withoutmicrowave

    ReplyDelete