Like someone said, "You can get a Mumbaite out of Mumbai, but you cannot get Mumbai out of a Mumbaite". Mumbai, a city of dreams...a vibrant city with wonderful people, and a city of delicious street-food! Yes, I am so proud to be a Mumbaite.
One of the all time favorite foods which is very popular amongst college students in Mumbai is Grilled Sandwich. Over sized sandwich with veggies and loads of grated cheese is grilled to perfection. It is then served with chutney and ketchup. Another important factor that makes grilled sandwich in Mumbai very special is the specially made large triangular slice of bread!! Yes, it is really large and 3 slices used in making 1 big sandwich :) I am sure people from Mumbai might be thinking of their favorite Grilled Sandwich place. I love the one at Breach Candy and of course the one in Santa Cruz...you guessed it right...Swastik Sandwich, which is now a popular brand called Sandwizza (Sandwich+Pizza). Another popular place is Anand Stall opposite Mithibai college in Vile Parle. :) I am totally a foodies...I love all these places and writing about them is making me more nostalgic!!
I have been on a hunt for a triangular bread loaf pan since quite some time now. Neither did I find it in any stores, nor online. I also asked my friends and family to check out baking shops in India for this kind of a bread pan. But no one succeeded. While I was in India 2 weeks back to spend time with my family, I made it a point to get a bread pan made to order at a tin works shop. I got an 8 inch equilateral triangle with a 10 inch depth. And I had to give it is a try using my bread loaf recipe. Below are the pictures of my triangular bread loaf.
Recipe of make grilled sandwich for 2:
4 slices Sandwich bread
Cilantro chutney (to your spice level)
2 medium sized boilled potatoes
1 medium cucumber
2 medium sized tomatoes
1 medium onion sliced
1 medium bell pepper thinly sliced
Sandwich masala/chaat masala
Griddle or a grill sandwich press
- Spread butter and cilantro chutney on each of the bread slices.
- Evenly place thinly sliced cucumbers, and sprinkle sandwich masala/chaat masala.
- Evenly place thinly sliced potatoes and sprinkle sandwich masala/chaat masala.
- Place few sliced onions and sprinkle sandwich masala/chaat masala.
- Evenly place sliced tomatoes and sprinkle sandwich masala/chaat masala.
- Place few sliced bell pepper and sprinkle sandwich masala/chaat masala.
- Add generous helping of Amul cheese.
- Cover the layers with the second slice of the bread.
- Apply butter on top and grill it till it is crisp.
- Remove and spread some Amul butter on it.
- Cut into pieces and serve with chutney, ketchup, and spicy tomato garlic chutney.
Red garlic chutney.
Deseed 4-5 dry red chillies.
Chop 1 tomato.
Peal 2-3 garlic cloves.
Heat a tbsp. of oil in a pan. fry deseeded red chillies, add chopped tomato. cover and cook till tomato softens. Cool . Grind with garlic and salt and water if needed. Spicy red garlic chutney is ready.
Enjoy Mumbai Style Grilled Sandwich!!