Shital's-Kitchen: One Pot Rajma-Rice

Thursday, April 7, 2016

One Pot Rajma-Rice

I have been trying to take more home lunch to work simply to add more protein and control portion size of the food. In order to do that, I wake up early and prepare fresh lunch everyday. Waking up just
15 minutes earlier than usual time can make it so easy and simple. If you see me in the kitchen, I am multitasking all the time. With a 5 burner stove that I have, I try to make the most out of it :)

Kidney bean or Rajma with rice was something that I used to make often for my husband. It is a great one box lunch and also adds complete protein to our vegetarian meal. From making rajma curry and rice separately, I moved to cooking them together to make it easier in the morning. I was talking about this recipe to my sister and she made me realize that I did not post it here. She keeps a check on my work. If she cannot find what she needs, I have to post it. It makes my life easy too as I do not have to message her the recipe every time she needs it. It is almost like I am logging work for her.

Yesterday, I soaked kidney beans, took few to school as a part of seed dissection that I wanted my students to do. Kidney beans are easy to dissect as the seed coat can come off and the plant embryo can be seen. They can also understand the difference between the monocot and a dicot seed. As usual I soaked a bunch of seeds but used just few. No brainer... I made quick One Pot Rajma Rice today. 

Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
1/2 cup raw kidney beans/rajma
1 cup raw rice
3 tbsp. ghee
1 large onion chopped
4 tomatoes chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. red chilli powder
3 tbsp. rajma masala or garam masala
3 cups water
Cilantro to garnish
  • Soak kidney beans over night or for 6-7 hours.
  • Wash rice and keep them aside.
  • Since kidney beans take slightly more time to cook than rice, start to boil kidney beans separately in a small pan. Just add enough water for beans to be submerged
  • Meanwhile, heat a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker. Add ghee. Saute chopped onions till they get translucent.
  • Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
  • Add all spices and mix well.
  • Add boiling kidney beans with the water. Mix in well. Boiling beans separately gives it a jump start in the cooking process.
  • Add washed rice to kidney bean gravy.
  • Add 3 cups or water. Mix well.
  • Cover and let the rice and beans cook for 15 minutes.
  • Mix once. Cover and let them cook for another 10 minutes.
  • Turn of the heat. Do not take the lid off. The steam inside the pot allows rice and beans to further cook. Let it rest for 8-10 before serving.
  • Serve with a tsp, of ghee on top and some onions and lemon pickle on the side. A glass of cold chaash is extremely soothing with hot and spicy rajma rice!
Here is step-by-step pictorial recipe:
Heat a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker. Add ghee. Saute chopped onions till they get translucent.

Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add all spices and mix well.

Add boiling kidney beans with the water. Mix in well. Boiling beans separately gives it a jump start in the cooking process.

Add washed rice to kidney bean gravy.

Add 3 cups or water. Mix well.
Cover and let the rice and beans cook for 15 minutes.
Mix once. Cover and let them cook for another 10 minutes.
Turn of the heat. Do not take the lid off. The steam inside the pot allows rice and beans to further cook. Let it rest for 8-10 before serving.






Serve with a tsp, of ghee on top and some onions and lemon pickle on the side. A glass of cold chaash is extremely soothing with hot and spicy rajma rice!


Enjoy!!

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading comments, but comments with advertisements or external links will not published. 


3 comments:

  1. Wow great idea !! Will try real soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finish product looks delicious and healthy. Looking forward on trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this recipee, turned out delicious.
    My husband who is not at all rajma fan,even he liked rajama in tjis form

    ReplyDelete