I love my mom's preparation of mooli wali Kadhi which is sour to taste with a delicious crunch of radish strips. Mooli is radish, and long thin radish is deliciously tasty in winters. Not all kadhi in Kutchi/Gujarati family is sweet. We love the sour flavor. There are various kadhi preparations in our family and type of kadhi made depends on the overall menu. For example: kadhi served with khichdi is very different from kadhi served with plain rice or Kadhi serve with pulav.
My husband and I enjoy simple kadhi and rice. We enjoy it with crispy fried guvar chips, okra chips, karela chips, and potato wafers. Last summer we made dehydrated veggie chips and we use them sparingly throughout the year. Specially with simple dal rice or kadhi rice.
This kadhi is so easy to make and is ready in just 15 minutes.
1+1/2 cup sour yogurt (leave a cup of yogurt in a warm place for 4-5 hours or overnight)
4 cups water
3 tbsp. chickpea flour
1 cup radish strips or slices
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1 green chill
4-5 curry leaves
Pinch of hing
1+1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 inch ginger (finely chopped)
2-3 tbsp. chopped cilantro to garnish
- In a bowl mix yogurt, water and chickpea flour together. Whisk well to avoid lumps.
- In a tempering bowl heat ghee. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chopped chili, curry leaves, and hing. Pour the temper in yogurt mixture.
- Add salt and finely chopped ginger.
- Add radish strips to kadhi.
- Bring kadhi to boil stirring occasionally and then simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Winter Comfort Food!!