Shital's-Kitchen: Eggless Winter Cake

Friday, January 20, 2017

Eggless Winter Cake

I agree I have not been regular in my posts. I have been busy and I have a backlog of recipes to experiment and publish. My apologies and thanks for your patience.

Two days back...feeling super excited about baking this delicious eggless cake with dried fruits and nuts, I called my sister and shared my excitement. "I baked a Christmas Cake today!!" On hearing this, my sister who has this amazing sense of humor says, "Isn't it very early to bake a cake for Christmas????" So although this cake is mostly made during Christmas, there is no perfect time to enjoy it. It is so delicious that I can make and enjoy this cake throughout the year. Since it consists of ingredients perfect for the season, I named it A Winter Cake!!

During winter break we had my family from San Diego visiting us, and spent amazing time with my Nephew and Niece. I was experimenting with eggless fruit and nut cake with easy and simple ingredients I had at home. I was gifted a cute mule mug and sparkling ginger beer/ginger ale from one of my students, so I incorporated that in the experimenting recipe. To my amusement the cake turned out amazingly delicious. It had the perfect sweetness, perfectly soft, delicious flavor for ginger beer/ginger ale and spices, and perfect texture from nuts. On taking the first bite my nephew said, "Shital aunty you should put this recipe on your blog." That was such a happy moment for me...my experiment was successful! :) I had posted a pictorial video on my Facebook page and my friends wanted me to post a detailled recipe of my eggless experiment. So finally I was able to bake the cake and measure the ingredients I added and develop a recipe. :) Some of my friends got to taste it and I am so glad they loved it. I can't wait to bake it again.

Ingredients to make a bundt cake:  (Use half of this recipe to make a loaf cake)

3 cups dried fruits and nuts (cranberries, chopped almonds, cashews, pistachios, dried figs, chopped walnuts)
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 bottle (25 fl.oz) sparkling apple cider (or ginger cider)
3/4 cup regular butter (salted or unsalted butter)
2 cans (14 oz each) (2 cups) sweetened condensed milk
1+1/2 tsp. baking powder
1+1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. clove powder
2+3/4 cup all purpose flour or maida
  • In a bowl add roughly chopped dried fruits and nut, cinnamon powder, clove powder, grated ginger, and soak in 2 cups of apple cider for 15 minutes.
  • In a mixing bowl or kitchen aid stand mixer, whisk softened butter till it is light and fluffy.
  • Add 2 cans/2 cups of sweetened condensed milk to the mixing bowl and whisk with butter for 3-4 minutes.
  • Microwave dried fruits and nuts and apple cider mixture for 3 minutes.
  • Add the microwaved mixture to whisked condensed milk and butter.
  • Add baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla extract
  • Mix for 30 seconds
  • Add flour 1 cup at a time and whisk well. add all the flour and whisk till it is well mixed.
  • Grease the bundt pan well with butter.
  • Pour the cake mixture in bundt pan.
  • Place it in 350F preheated oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
  • Remove and let it stand on a rack for 5 minutes.
  • Slowly pour around 1+1/2 cup of apple cider little at a time and let the cake soak the liquid.
  • Let it stand for 20 minutes.
  • Invert it carefully on a plate. Pour any remaining apple cider.
  • Cut into slices.
  • Enjoy!

Here is step-by-step pictorial recipe:
In a bowl add roughly chopped dried fruits and nut, cinnamon powder, clove powder, grated ginger, and soak in 2 cups of apple cider for 15 minutes.
Dried cranberries, chopped almonds, cashews, pistachios, dried figs, chopped walnuts




In a mixing bowl or kitchen aid stand mixer, whisk softened butter till it is light and fluffy.
Add 2 cans/2 cups of sweetened condensed milk to the mixing bowl and whisk with butter for 3-4 minutes.

Microwave dried fruits and nuts and apple cider mixture for 3 minutes.
Add the microwaved mixture to whisked condensed milk and butter.


Add baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla extract
Mix for 30 seconds
Add flour 1 cup at a time and whisk well. add all the flour and whisk till it is well mixed.

Grease the bundt pan well with butter.
Pour the cake mixture in bundt pan.

Place it in 350F preheated oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
Remove and let it stand on a rack for 5 minutes.

Slowly pour around 1+1/2 cup of apple cider little at a time and let the cake soak the liquid.
Let it stand for 20 minutes.


Invert it carefully on a plate. Pour any remaining apple cider.







Enjoy this delicious Fruit and Nut Cake!!!


4 comments:

  1. pls share the brand of apple cider or picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can wr use any sparkling water coz this i dont usually have at home ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it but it should be fine. You will have to add additional around 2 tbsp. of sugar since apple cider or ginger cider is sweet. Or add 2 tbsp of honey.

      Delete