I recently found that each culture has their way of celebrating and preparing a rice dish for this festival. Like pongal is a rice dish for the Southern India, people in Gujarat make Khichdo or Khichdi. This is the combination of rice with various beans and veggies and cooked in a clay pot.
This recipe today is an attempt to make this nutritious, gluten-free, khichdi perfect for cold and rainy weather in San Jose. We love our khichdi with chaash or yogurt preparation. Panch Dhan means 5 grains. This Khichdi contains 5 grain and other veggies to make it nutrient rich with protein, carbs, vitamins, fiber. Don't get intimidated by the ingredient list. These are easy ingredients mostly found in every Indian home.
Ingredients (serves 3-4 people)
1 cup rice
1/4 cup yellow moong dal
1/4 cup green moong dal
1/4 cup toor dal
1/4 cup chana dal
3 tbsp ghee or oil
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
1 inch ginger minced
4-5 cloves garlic minced
2 chopped green chillies
1 cup sliced onions
8-10 baby potatoes
2 chopped tomatoes
1 cup green peas
1 cup cauliflower florets
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. turmeric powder
2 tsp. chilli powder
1 tbsp. garam masala
5 cups water
- Wash all grains well and soak 3 cups water for 20 minutes.
- In a clay pot or heavy bottom pan heat ghee or oil. Fry cumin and mustard seeds till they crackle.
- Fry minced ginger, garlic, and green chillies.
- Saute sliced onions till they turn pink.
- Add other veggies and mix well.
- Add soaked grains.
- Add salt and spices.
- Mix well.
- Add 7 cups water
- Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes occasionally mixing it.
- Add more water if needed.
- Turn of the heat and keep it covered for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with chaash and papad.
Here is step-by-step pictorial recipe:
In a clay pot or heavy bottom pan heat ghee or oil.
Fry cumin and mustard seeds till they crackle. Fry minced ginger, garlic, and green chillies.
Saute sliced onions till they turn pink.
Add other veggies and mix well.
Add soaked grains.
Add salt and spices.
Add 5 cups water
Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes occasionally mixing it.
Turn of the heat and keep it covered for 10 minutes
Garnish with cilantro.
Enjoy Healthy Khichdi!