Shital's-Kitchen: Eggless Cake

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Eggless Cake



Finally, my successful try of making eggless cake! Yeeepeeeeee!! 

After hours of phone discussion with my mom on how to make an eggless cake just like she did when we were kids, and many trials, I have discovered my mom's favorite recipe.  You would be thinking why I had to perform several trials when I actually discussed the recipe with my mom? Because, she just remembered the ingredients and the order in which they were added, but forgot the proportion of each of these. HAHA! I was adamant to recreate the cake she made for us. Every birthday cake was carefully handmade and handcrafted for us to take it to school and distribute amongst classmates. I remember her getting the ingredients ready, while I could sit besides her and add each ingredient as she would suggest. In those days, egg beater or whisk was not a common tool in the kitchen. Mom used her palm to whisk butter till it would get soft and fluffy. Quite a workout it was! She had a large steel mixing bowl specially used for cakes and sugar cookies.  I wish cameras would have been easy and cheap like today. I would have clicked plenty of pictures then, and would refresh all the memories whenever needed.

Here are the ingredients for an easy egg-less cake.
Butter, condensed milk, regular milk, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, all-purpose flour.
Check the expiry date on each of these before you start.

Start with a stick of butter which is 8 tbsp. or 1/4 LB or 113 grams.
Microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute to soften it but do not completely melt it.


Start whisking it till you see the color change to lighter and fluffier butter.

You could use an electric mixer too.
 I broke my electric mixer :( so I used a regular whisk today, since my new one will be delivered tomorrow.



Add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Whisk well. Whisking incorporates air to give a lighter cake.



Add 1/3 cup of slightly warm milk. Whisk in well.

Mix 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl: take 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda.
Sift the dry ingredients well. Sifting will get rid of any lumps or granules, and will incorporate air too.


Mix in dry ingredients with wet. You will now need a spatula to fold the ingredients instead of whisking them.

Add spoonful of dry ingredients and fold in slowly using one slow motion.


Fold till you obtain a lump-free flowing batter.

Grease and dust a cake pan. Pour the batter in and bake in 350F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes till a pierce toothpick come out clean.
I was so excited to see the cake rising in the oven. Couldn't get my eyes off it :)




Remove on a wire rack and cool.

Beautifully and evenly caramelized cake.


Perfectly leveled cake :) Great for layering or making Tres Leches.


Enjoy with a cup of coffee.

Serve with whipped cream topping and warm, homemade strawberry jam.



Dig in & Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Shital I have two request ,do address them if they are feasible.Firstly , Can you just let me know if I bake this same cake with eggs then what will be the measurements and what all things I need to take care of....Any tips from your side is pretty much useful,
    Secondly, The background of your blog is very beautiful and colorful.But it becomes difficult to search for any recipe , Is it possible that you can put a contents page so that navigation becomes easier..

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mehnaz,

      1. I haven't tried the the same recipe with egg. I do make chocolate cake in the microwave with eggs. If you want I can give you the recipe. You can omit chocolate and make vanilla cake in the microwave.

      2. I am always trying to look for widgets to make browsing easy for my followers, but Google - Blogger does not allow me much here. If you come across something, do let me know.
      Click on labels to browse through the recipe or type in the name in the search box.

      Hope I have answered your questions.

      Thanks,
      Shital

      Delete
  2. Thanks Shital for the help and suggestion.I'm definitely gonna try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheetal,can I make choclate cake with same recipe?if yes how much cocoa powder or coffee should I add?I want to make a checkerboard cake.thank you.waiting for ur reply as ur recipes are always perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete