Shital's-Kitchen: Hot & Spicy Edamame

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Hot & Spicy Edamame

Edamame, soya beans in a pod. Protein rich food and apt for a vegetarian like me...yes, I am addicted to edamame :) Steaming hot and lightly salted edamame make a perfect afternoon snack for me. Even my mom, who is a fussy eater (she enjoys more of street food and chaat) loved edamame. I just couldn't believe she loved it so much and now misses it in India. 

If you have been to Yardhouse, Hot & Spicy Edamame needs no introduction.  Yardhouse is one of my favorite restaurants. This is one non Indian place where there is plenty of delicious vegetarian food served, especially appetizers. In fact, we just dine on various appetizers there. Their  brussel sprouts,  edamame, onion ring tower or peach and Gorgonzola flat bread, everything is just delicious. When I first tasted their edamame I was sure I can recreate this dish at home. My husband loved it too and now he no longer has plain salted edamame. He always asks for spicy ones :) Also, it in fun to push the beans out of the pods with your teeth and suck the spicy garlicy flavor on the pods. Just yum!!

Ingredients:
2 cups Edamame
2-3 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. coarsely ground red peppers or red chili flakes
1/2 tsp. chilli powder
1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 cup water
Salt to taste
  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Add minced garlic, pepper flakes, pepper powder and fry for a minute.
  • Add sugar, vinegar and fry for a minute.
  • Add edamame and salt. mix well.
  • Add water. Cover and let edamame heat up well.
  • Mix well and serve.

Here is my favorite Edamame.







Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I have tried this recipe and it turned out too yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe and I think it was a typo for 2tbsp. of pepper flakes. It was way too spicy. Good, but spicy. Way spicier than yard house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comment about the measurement for the red pepper flake. I only put in 1 tbs of red pepper flake and it was still VERY hot - and I like hot. I also think this is not the same as Yard House. Although this was delicious, I feel like the yard House had more of an Asian flavor. So I doctored the recipe with a little terriaki sauce and chopped peanuts - that was good too, but still have not nailed it. More experimentation needed.

    ReplyDelete