Shital's-Kitchen: Tomato Chutney

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Tomato Chutney


Yes, tomato chutney served in my favorite tomato bowl :) HAHA isn't it cute?? This is such a quick and easy recipe, that it does not need any introductory speech and description. I was out of fresh and frozen coconut, so the only option I had was a quick tomato chutney to go my baked medu wada and sambhar. I am not a big fan of coconut chutney. This one is just perfect for me.

While I am typing this, I remember a quick funny scenario I need to share with you. Like I said, I am not a coconut chutney fan. Whereas, Snehanshu does not enjoy tomato chutney. He would want a spoonful of coconut chutney in every bite of idli or dosa. When we dine at a South Indian restaurant and order idli or dosa, the first thing we do is swap the servings of chutney. I keep two servings of tomato chutney and Snehanshu gets his favorite coconut one ;)

I checked few recipes online and came up with this easy and quick recipe with ingredients found in the pantry.
Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add 2 roughly chopped cloves of garlic and 1 small roughly chopped onion. I use spring onion here.


While these saute, add 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds and few dry red chillies.



Add 2 medium chopped tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook well and get mushy.

Let the cooked tomatoes cool. Grind to form a smooth paste.

Transfer the ground paste into a pan. Add salt to taste, red chilli powder and bring it to boil.



Taadaa...tomato chutney ready to serve!


Enjoy as a dip with crackers too!

No comments:

Post a Comment