When it comes to BBQ or using charcoal grill, my husband and I make the most use of it. Not just grilling appetizers, corn or paneer...we cook the entire traditional Indian meal and even desserts on my charcoal grill. Grilled fruit salads are fun too!
Grilling fruit can make the fruit sugars caramelize to give delicious sweet and smoky flavor. It can be combined with fresh spring and summer green and the fruit juice will make a great dressing too.
Pineapple and Guava or Peru as we call it in India are sweet and sour fruits, great for grilling and form amazing tasting dressing over the salad. As soon as I found fresh guavas at an Indian store, I knew what I wanted to make. We do have a gauva tree in our backyard...we are waiting for it to fruit soon!
2 firm but ripe guavas/peru
1/2 fresh pineapple
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups fresh spring greens
- Cut guavas into eights and put in a large bowl.
- Core and cut pineapple into pieces similar size that of guavas. Put in a large bowl with cut guavas.
- Add salt, chilli powder, and lemon juice. Let the fruits sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Gently pierce each fruit piece through a skewer.
- Sprinkle some sugar over it and grill the fruits. Grilling should not take more time. Quick grilling will keep the fruits moist from inside while still obtaining caramelized and smoky flavor.
- Add grilled fruits to the bowl of fresh greens with the remaining fruit juice in the bowl.
- Serve immediately.
Here is step-by-step pictorial recipe
Enjoy the Grilling Season!!