Murabba is a Indian pickle or a jam with a delicious sweet and sour taste. Mango Murabba is very popular in India and I make it too, but thought of trying Loquat Murabba. Loquat is perfect for making jams and murabbas. The natural pectin in loquat gives it a perfect consistency.
1 cup loquat, de-seeded and chopped
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
Pinch of saffron
2-3 whole cloves
Seeds of 2 cardamom
- Wash loquat well and dry them flat on a towel. De-seed and cut into pieces.
- In a pan, mix sugar and water and bring it to boil.
- Add chopped loquat and simmer till the mixture turns color and thickens and becomes syrupy.
- Add saffron, whole cloves, cardamom seeds and simmer for few minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let Loquat murabba cool and then fill in a sterilized jar. Well cooked murabba need not be refrigerated. It will stay good in a cool, dry place.
Here is step-by-step pictorial recipe: