Shital's-Kitchen: Rose Shaped Dumplings

Friday, March 3, 2017

Rose Shaped Dumplings

Food videos on Facebook have been very popular lately. A quick 2-3 minute video of 'how to' are interesting and fun to watch. Even I enjoy making those. You would probably have seen some of my 'How to' or 'Timelapse' videos on my Facebook page. Rose shaped dumpling was an idea from one of such videos. I love dumplings: momo, potstickers, shumai, wontons...love all of them. I normally keep store bought wrappers for a quick dinner and with all veggies handy making potstickers was on my weekly menu list. When rose shaped dumpling video popped up on my Facebook feed, I could not wait to try this design.

On my first try itself, it looked so pretty and dainty. I was in love with this style. And it was a pleasant surprise for my husband. It is normally he who brings me flowers, especially roses, but as soon as he entered the house through the garage into the kitchen, I offered him this rose. At first I wasn't sure if he would make out the shape of it, but his immediate reaction was "WOW,  Rose!!" I aced it. Happy Happy Me!! :)

You can either use store bought wrappers or roll wrappers at home. Check out my recipes below:
Hand rolled wrappers
Whole wheat wrappers

Ingredients: (Makes 13 rose shaped dumplings)
1 packet round dumpling wrappers (containe50-52 thin round wrappers)
2 tbsp. oil
1 large onion
4-5 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
  • In a pan heat oil.
  • Add minced or finely chopped onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute well till they are soft.
  • Add minced or finely chopped carrots and bell pepper.
  • Add finely chopped cabbage. 
  • Add salt and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes till there is no moisture left in the pan.
  • Add vinegar. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  • Leave it aside to cool. Dumplings get sticky and soggy if the filling is not cooled well.
To make the rose:
  • Line 4 wrappers overlapping slightly
  • Fill around 1-1+1/2 tbsp. filling in the center.
  • With a brush apply water onto the sides of the wrappers.
  • Fold the wrapper into half.
  • Starting from left the right roll the stuffed wrapper  and seal the end to form a rose.

Line all roses in greased steamer and steam for 5-7 minutes or till done.
Serve with spicy dip :)

Line 4 wrappers overlapping slightly

Fill around 1-1+1/2 tbsp. filling in the center.
With a brush apply water onto the sides of the wrappers.

Fold the wrapper into half.


Starting from left the right roll the stuffed wrapper  and seal the end to form a rose.











Enjoy Rose Shaped Dumplings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment