Shital's-Kitchen: Gajar Ka Halwa/Carrot Pudding

Friday, January 31, 2014

Gajar Ka Halwa/Carrot Pudding

When I saw a 10 lb bag of carrots, I was thinking of carrot noodle salad, that I had made few days ago. But, as I lifted the bag to add to my cart, Snehanshu's immediate reaction was "wow Gajar ka Halwa!" :) Why not? I wouldn't make 10 lb. carrot salad :) Yes, for a foodie Indian, winter and carrots mean delicious, warm Carrot Pudding or Gajar ka Halwa!


I like to wash and scrub the carrots well with my scrubber. I do not peel them.


I love my super easy-to-use and handy food processor. With the grater attachment, grating 9-10 carrots is a piece of cake. It doesn't even take a minute to make a 10 cup batch.



10 cups of grated carrots.

Heat 1/4 -1/2 cup ghee or clarified butter. You could add less ghee, or choose to avoid ghee (like my mom does). Add 10 cups of carrots and saute for 4-5 minutes.



Add 1 cup of whipping cream and 1 cup of half and half or regular milk. Simmer and cook till the liquid evaporates.






Add 1- 1 1/2 cup sugar. Depends on your taste, type of sugar used, sweetness of carrots.


Add 1 tsp. cardamom powder and a cup of chopped nuts of your choice.

As the sugar melt, the mixture gets liquified. Allow the moisture to evaporate, which may take 10-15 minutes.






Serve warm or refrigerate for a week or two. 
Heat it or microwave it for 20-30 seconds before serving.

This warm carrot pudding is a great comfort food in winter.
But, tastes even better with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in summer.

Indulge in this Warm Sweetness!!

5 comments:

  1. how do make it danedar Sheetal? Like the one in India?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dipa, Add some grated mawa/khoya to it. My mom adds actual doodh malai which makes it danedar. I love it too!

      Delete
  2. Hey ! Which food processor do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my 7 yr. old Cuisinart Food Processor. Here is the link: http://www.casa.com/p/cuisinart-dlc-10s-7-cup-pro-classic-food-processor-229422?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=ZPV-792&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1309100584&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

      Delete
  3. Hello Shital,

    Which food processor is that? Really loved the way you can grate! Lovely recipe n I will give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete