Shital's-Kitchen: Aloo, Mattar, Tamatar!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Aloo, Mattar, Tamatar!

One of my favorite curries while growing up was my mom's simple Potato, peas and tomato curry. Yes, this is almost like a quick comfort food for us now. With minimum cooking time and effort, this curry is so versatile for busy weekdays, and it can be enjoyed with rotis, parathas or steamed basmati rice.

I know this dish is very simple, and you might wonder if it is actually worth putting up on my blog. Most families do have their version of a potato curry. But believe me, this post brings back my childhood memories and I am specially dedicating this recipe to my sister. I should say it is our favorite comfort food!!

With many festivals lined up, people in India avoid onion, garlic and lot of other spices. Some people fast by eating only one meal a day. Quick, easy, and delicious recipe is the key to a happy family :)

Take 1 cup of diced potatoes and 1 cup of green peas (fresh or frozen)

In a pan heat 2 tbsps. oil. Add 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds, 2 slit green chillies, 3-4 curry leaves, and pinch of asafoetida (hing)





As soon as mustard and chillies start to crackle, add diced potatoes and peas.


Add enough water to cover the veggies. Add salt to taste and 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder. Cover and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.






When veggies are almost cooked, add 2 roughly chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.





When tomatoes become tender, gently smash some of them to flavor the curry.



Add 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder and 2 tsp. coriander powder. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes.




Flavorful curry with very few ingredients is ready to serve.



Add freshly chopped cilantro and squeeze fresh lime just before serving.






Serve with hot parathas or over steamed rice.
A simple curry without onion and garlic!
Enjoy my home comfort food!

3 comments:

  1. Actually Shital, I wish more Indian bloggers would share simple, home-style recipes like this one, at least once in a while. The Internet is full of all kinds of international recipes, recipes to entertain with, recipes for holidays and special occasions; the only ones hard to find - every day recipes for weeknight night dinners. I used to call my mom and ask her but after struggling with "1 katori dal and 1 mutthi chawal" instructions for years, I've given up that route as well. So thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Tulika! that's true. I will do my best to put up simple comfort food too :)

      Delete
  2. Just tried this recipe Shital. Tastes absolutely yummy!!! Thanks for this recipe and can't wait for more from you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete