Shital's-Kitchen: Dum Aloo

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dum Aloo

This is a popular North-Indian entrée made with baby potatoes. Can be served with Naan or Rice.

Dum means to cover and cook on low heat so that the flavors are absorbed into main ingredient (potato in this case).

It is almost after 3 years that I prepared my own recipe by looking up my video my husband shot, took pictures and updated this post. :) How fun!


1 chopped onion, 1 inch ginger, 3-4 cloves garlic, 3-4 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 dried red chillies, 1 tbsp. cumin seeds, 2 tbsp. saunf seeds (fennel), 1/2 cup cashew nuts.
Roast in 1 tbsp. oil. What an aromatic paste this will turn into!
 Grind to form a paste.




Baby potatoes; par boiled, pricked and fried.
(Frying is optional)


In a tbsp. of ghee, fry bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and cashew nuts (optional). Fry ground paste for 3-4 minutes.


As it starts giving out this delicious aroma add 2 finely chopped tomatoes. 

Add 1 cup yogurt and 1 chopped tomato. Cover and let tomatoes cook.

Smash the tomatoes for it to blend well and form a smooth gravy.
Add 1 tsp. red chilli powder, salt to taste, 1 tsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).


Add baby potatoes that are boiled, fried and fork pricked. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.


Some more kasuri methi sprinkled for flavor :)




Serving Dum Aloo with hot tandoori roti sprnkled with sesame (til) and Nigella (kalonji) seeds.











 My initial video of making dum aloo! :) Please excuse the photography, but I enjoy talking while cooking!
Dum Aloo Part 1

Dum Aloo Part 2 

12 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is PERFECT for this!!

    I'm particularly excited about the glossary/translation graph in one of the posts below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like to get few more of your recipes. You r good. Love ur kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for more recipes. Dum aloo was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... yummy... will be trying soon :)... thanks for the recipe.. keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!!This recipe looks wonderful.
    You really are innovative; never could've thought using a pressure cooker as a tandoor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this recipe yesterday. It turned out so delicious. We enjoyed it very much. I am going to try Tortilla Salad this weekend.
    keep posting !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried your palak paratha with paneer stuffing .It was Awesome.
    I'm going to try this dum aloo soon!!

    Mehnaz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mehnaz, I am glad you liked it! :) Happy Cooking!

      Delete
  8. Love the recipe.Going to try it soon.But did you use unpeeled potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, I did not use unpeeled potatoes. Some of them were white baby potatoes and some were red baby potatoes. So it looks as if I did not peel them. I have tried without peeling them once, but did not enjoy the texture in this recipe.

      Delete
  9. Invited dum aloo..I will try this soon

    ReplyDelete