Shital's-Kitchen: Healthy Khichdi

Monday, March 4, 2013

Healthy Khichdi

Khichdi is a soft, smooth comfort food made traditionally of rice and lentil. I remember my mom making rice khichdi without any spices specially when someone at home was sick. My sister and I were never fond of it :) But now that I am away from my mom, I miss the simple and quick preparation from her.

Every state has its' own way of preparing khichdi. The one I made today was similar to South Indian Besibelle bhat but instead of using rice I used bulger wheat and split mung lentils and lots of veggies to make it rich in fibre.

So, make your favorite version on khichdi today by using your favorite ingredients and spices :)

1 cup bulger wheat (broken wheat) 3/4 cup split lentils. Wash well and soak for 10-15 minutes. 




Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 45 minutes or 4 pressure cooker whistles are blown.


Add veggies of your choice. I used onions, bell pepper, green beans, cluster beans, tomatoes, green peas and carrots.


Start with tempering: Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and pich on fenugreek seeds (methi).

Add chopped green chillies.

Saute onion and bell pepper. Add all veggies and 1 cup water.






Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes till veggies are cooked but not over done.



Add Bessibelle Bhat Masala
OR
Coriander powder, cumin powder, fenugreek powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder.

Add 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes.

Add pressure cooked bulger wheat, freshly squeezed lime juice and some salt. Mix well. Add 1/2 cup water if needed to get nice soft, pouring consistency.



Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle fresh cilantro.

Serve with yogurt or Chaash

Enjoy Wholesome, Healthy Meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment