Shital's-Kitchen: Bengali Shaak

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bengali Shaak

Another delicious recipe but, I have no idea where this name came from I am sure, it has nothing to do with Bengalis :) When my mom was a kid, her best friends mom and her neighbor,  Induben used to make this curry for them. When we were kids my mom used to make this curry for my sister and me. It was our special Sunday curry to eat as much as we wanted :) With very few ingredients, this simple and delicious potato curry is sure to wow you and your family!

Peel and cube potatoes. Wash and pat dry with a paper towel to fry them. You need around 3-4 cups cubed potatoes.


Deep fry potatoes few at a time in hot oil and remove on an absorbant sheet.

The house smells so good with deep frying potatoes!! We would sneak out a few while my mom was away or busy doing something else. That was so much fun!

When you have all potatoes fried and ready, get the spices for tempering.
You just need a tsp. of cumin seeds. few cloves. cinnamon stick and bay leaves.

Heat a tsp of oil in a pan.

Fry cumin seeds and other spices for 30 seconds.

Add 4 cups of water.

Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder and bring the water to boil.



Add fried potatoes. Cover and let the potatoes absorb delicious flavors.


While the potatoes simmer, chop 3 large tomatoes.

Add tomatoes. Cover and cook for 4- 5 minutes till they are tender and soft.



Turn off the heat. Immediately add 1 cup plain yogurt spoonful at a time. Do not mix it. Cover and let it set for 3-4 minutes.



Uncover and mix it lightly. Potato curry is ready to serve.



Tastes amazing with roti/chapati and rice.
Even though I use the exact same recipe like my mom, it does not taste the same!
Miss You MA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment